Lauren Flato, VMD, CPDT-KA, CCAC
Lauren’s Credentials At A Glance
- VMD: Veterinary Medical Doctor, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- CPDT-KA: Certified Professional Dog Trainer, Knowledge Assessed, by the Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT)
- CCAC: Certificate in Canine Assessment and Counseling from Canine Behavior Academy
- FPPE: Licensed Dogs & Storks and Dogs & Toddlers presenter through Family Paws Parent Education
- APDT: Member, Association of Professional Dog Trainers
- AVSAB: Member, American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
- PPG: Professional Member, Pet Professional Guild
- TDF: Member, Truly Dog Friendly
- TPU: Evaluator, Therapy Pets Unlimited
Veterinarian and Dog Trainer
Lauren began her career with dogs as a practicing veterinarian. Dismayed by the behavior issues her clients sought help with, Lauren changed her focus to canine behavioral health. As a highly credentialed and experienced dog trainer, she now uses the combination of her training and veterinary backgrounds to look at behavior from all angles—and provide practical solutions that really work.
Lauren’s Commitment to Positive Training
As a veterinarian, Lauren is committed to scientific principles and the promise to do no harm. As a trainer, she wants her clients to experience real results they can feel good about getting. Therefore, she uses only positive reinforcement-based, force-free training methods. And that she stays up-to-date on the latest scientific understanding of canine behavior and training techniques by yearly participating in continuing education seminars and workshops by leaders in the field, and professional training and veterinary conferences such as the APDT, AVSAB, Clicker Expo, and Western Veterinary Conferences.
Lauren At Home
Lauren shares her life with her husband, two kids, and two dogs. If she weren’t so busy training, she’d probably have a hobby or two. But she’s content to save that for retirement. Right now, she’s having a great time helping her terrific clients and their wonderful dogs live happily together.
Sporty, Labrador Retriever, Training Assistant
Lauren describes Sporty as the least-aptly named dog in the world. Fortunately his ultra-laid back manner makes him the perfect training assistant. Sporty specializes in puppy training and dog-dog aggression and reactivity cases. If anyone can convince a fellow dog that making new friends is fun, it’s this calm, ever-patient canine.
Sporty is a yellow Labrador Retriever. Originally bred by Guide Dogs for the Blind, Sporty didn’t make the guide dog cut due to congenital birth defects. Luckily he found his true calling with Lauren. When not working, Sporty enjoys lazing about on his pillows and stealing the ball from his brother.
To work with Lauren
Email or call to schedule training with Lauren today.
- “Very knowledgeable…involved in her field…cares about the animals”
“Dr. Flato is very knowledgeable, thorough, and straightforward in explaining her rationale behind different training techniques, which are based on positive reinforcement. She is involved with her field and professional community and cares about the well-being of animals. I highly recommend her.”
- “An absolutely wonderful trainer for both people and pets!”
“Lauren is an absolutely wonderful trainer - for both people and pets! She has coached us through several challenging situations and we are all happier for it. Lauren is the BEST! Plus, she comes to your house and works where you and your dog will be most comfortable. Does it get better than that?”