My favorite canine reads, toys, and treats
- DogSense: New Science of Canine Behavior by John Bradshaw. This book dispels the myth of dominance based on early wolf pack research that has now been shown to not be an accurate portrayal of dog behavior.
- The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. A must read for anyone interested in training and the nature of the relationship between man and dogs and the origins of behavior and problem behaviors. Should be a prerequisite for dog owning.
- Reaching the Animal Mind by Karen Pryor. Explores the basis of clicker training and why it is the best method to train animals effectively and compassionately.
- Don’t Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training by Karen Pryor. Explains the underlying principles of behavioral training, tells how to do it without yelling threats, force, punishment, guilt trips–or shooting the dog. 8 methods for putting an end to all kinds of undesirable behavior
- On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas. This small book is a great introduction to dog body language and the calming signals that they use and humans can recognize and use as well.
- Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide by Brenda Aloff. Captures in images those fleeting, yet important moments of dog communication that humans should understand
- Visiting the Dog Park: Having Fun, Staying Safe by Cheryl S. Smith
- How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks by Dr. Ian Dunbar
- Oh Behave! Dogs from Pavlov to Premack to Pinker by Jean Donaldson
- Plenty in Life is Free by Kathy Sdao, ACAAB
- The Ahimsa Dog Training Manual: A Practical, Force-Free Guide to Problem Solving & Manners by Grisha Stewart, MA, CPDT-KA, KPACTP
- Fired Up, Frantic and Freaked Out: Training the Crazy Dog from Over the Top to Under Control by Laura Vanderwonk Baugh, CPDT-KA, KPACTP
- Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt, MLA, CPDT-KA, KACTP
- Changing People Changing Dogs by Dee Ganley, CPDT, CABC, CDBC
- Puppy’s First Steps edited by Dr. Nicolas Dodman
- Smellorama: Nose Games for Dogs by Viviane Theby
Anxiety or Aggression:
- Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog by Emma Parsons
- A Guide to Living with and Training a Fearful Dog by Debbie Jacobs
Toys and Treats